India’s Ambassador to UN Ashok Mukerji stressed that there’s an imperative need to “urgently” broaden the council to make it more representative, effective and democratic.
“Maintaining the status quo as far as the membership of the Council is concerned is definitely not an option,” said Mr Mukerji while participating in a briefing on UN Security Council reforms on March 26.
“For many developing countries, it is simply untenable that out of 137 developing country members of the UN, only one has so far been accommodated as a permanent member of the Council,” he said.
In the meeting, Chair of the Intergovernmental Negotiations Ambassador Courtenay Rattray laid out a framework aimed at taking the moving inter-governmental negotiations towards the next level negotiations.
India believes that the presented documents is a positive breakthrough as the world leaders had decided to take part in the 70th anniversary of UN in 2005 to achieve early reforms of the UNSC.
India, the world’s most populous democracy and Asia’s third largest economy, is a strong claimant for a permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council. Many countries, across the region, including the US, Russia, France and Britain have pledged support for India’s candidature for a permanent seat in the UNSC.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- China Connect2022.05.19Implement Global Security Initiative, Maintain Peace and Stability in Asia
- India and the World2022.05.17India-Nepal ties strong & stables as Himalayas: Modi
- Quote-Unquote2022.05.04India believes there will be no winner in Russia-Ukraine conflict : Modi
- India and the World2022.05.02Modi, German Chancellor discuss Ukraine, Indo-Pacific