The Indian government has dismissed “misleading” remarks made by the 57-nation Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) on the hijab dress row, saying it only exposed the communal mindset of the OIC Secretariat.
“Issues in India are considered and resolved in accordance with our constitutional framework and mechanisms, as well as democratic ethos and polity,” the external affairs ministry spokesman Arindam Bagchi said. He was responding to a question on comments by the OIC general secretariat regarding the controversy about the wearing of the scarf (hijab) by Muslim girls in schools. The OIC had asked India to ensure the safety, security and wellbeing of the Muslim community while protecting the way of life of its members.
“The communal mindset of the OIC Secretariat does not allow for a proper appreciation of these realities. OIC continues to be hijacked by vested interests to further their nefarious propaganda against India,” he added
“As a result, it has only harmed its own reputation,” he said.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2022.11.27India’s G20 presidency to focus on global good: PM Modi
- Diplomacy2022.11.16Modi’s green diplomacy in Bali: India joins Mangrove Alliance for Climate
- Diplomacy2022.11.15India calls for Ukraine dialogue, focus on energy security
- India and the World2022.11.11Russia-Ukraine War: India’s Global Balancing Act