India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi has underlined the imperative need to ensure the country’s energy security and sought new ways to restore existing sources in order to serve the growing energy appetite of the people.
Inaugurating the “Urja Sangam – 2015″ conference on energy security at the Vigyan Bhavan Exposition Complex in New Delhi, the prime minister said: “We need to be independent when it comes to providing our people with energy.”
Rich should give up LPG subsidy
He also exhorted the people, who are not using their LPG subsidy or who can manage without it should give it up. “It will benefit poor people in a long way; those who want to but can’t. He said, “I ask you to join this movement. Give up gas subsidy. Create record.”
According to Mr Modi, people are already surrendering their LPG subsidy. More than 280,000 users have so far already given it back, and that has resulted in a saving of Rs. 100 crore (around $16 million) to the exchequer. The government plans to provide piped cooking gas to all to at least 1000000 households in next four years, which currently has about 270000 households.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2022.11.27India’s G20 presidency to focus on global good: PM Modi
- Diplomacy2022.11.16Modi’s green diplomacy in Bali: India joins Mangrove Alliance for Climate
- Diplomacy2022.11.15India calls for Ukraine dialogue, focus on energy security
- India and the World2022.11.11Russia-Ukraine War: India’s Global Balancing Act