Amid India’s plans to ramp up nuclear energy production, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Yukiya Amano will be touring the country’s nuclear facilities in Rajasthan.
Mr Amano, the chief of the world’s nuclear watchdog agency, is expected to meet officials of the Ministry of External Affairs and Department of Atomic Energy. He will also review the progress made on the India-US nuclear deal, which proved to be a game-changer in bringing New Delhi into the global nuclear fold.
Last year, India ratified the IAEA’ additional protocol and also brought 22 nuclear facilities, including 14 power reactors, under the agency’s safeguards. The last of two such reactors – Narora Atomic Power Plant (NAPS) units 1 and 2 – went under IAEA’s safeguards in December, 2014.
Mr Amano will visit Rajasthan Atomic Power Plant (RAPS) Unit 5 at Rawatbhata (Rajasthan), which has had a continuous run of 765 days at its full capacity of 220 MWe.
Mr Amano had also visited India in 2011 and 2013. This time, his visit comes barely days after India hosted an international conference on the Indian Nuclear Insurance Pool (INIP), part of New Delhi’s outreach to allay their concerns about the country’s civil nuclear liability regime and its plan to set up a risk-management scheme for foreign companies looking to set up atomic plants in India.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2023.06.02Mutual respect and complete consensus,that is the hallmark of BRICS : Jaishankar
- India and the World2023.05.19With Global South on mind, Modi touches down in Hiroshima for G7 summit
- India and the World2023.04.28A Time for Global South in G20
- India and the World2023.04.26Continent of Hope: It’s Time for Compact with Africa 2.0