US President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Narendra Modi have announced major deals between the two sides in the areas of energy, finance, and defence in a joint press statement after their wide-ranging delegation-level talks at the Hyderabad House in the national capital.Addressing the media, PM Modi said that the two sides have discussed every important aspect of the US-India relations, be it strategic partnership in defence and security, energy and trade or people-to-people ties. He said that India-US defence partnership is an important aspect of our relationship, in addition to people-to-people contact. PM Modi said that Indian professionals, students, and the diaspora in the US have made key contributions in strengthening bilateral ties.
Speaking on the issue of trade, the prime minister said “Our commerce ministers have had positive talks. Both of us have decided that our teams should give legal shape to these trade talks. We also agreed to open negotiations on a major trade agreement.”On his part, the US President said that both sides have expanded their defence cooperation by signing important agreements for India to purchase over $ 3 billion worth of advanced US military equipment, including Apache and MH-60 Romeo Helicopters. “These are the finest in the world and they will enhance our joint defence capabilities,” President Trump said.
“In our discussions, PM Modi and I affirmed our two countries’ commitment to protecting our citizens from radical Islamic terrorism. In this effort, the US is also working productively with Pakistan to confront terrorists who operate on its soil,” Trump added.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. Centre for Global India Insights is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs.
- DiplomacySeptember 20, 2023Inclusive Development & G20: Progress & Prospects
- India and the WorldSeptember 16, 2023G20 has a critical role in protecting rules-based global order: Experts
- Africa InsightsSeptember 13, 2023G20 Connect: Africa, India, South Africa and Global South
- DiplomacySeptember 11, 2023Bringing Development Agenda to Centrestage: Accelerating Achievement of SDGs