Commenting on the Kashmir issue at a media interaction, US President Donald Trump said that he offered help to broker a solution but didn’t meant mediation, stressing that it has been a “big problem” and a long-standing one between India and Pakistan.
“I didn’t say anything about that (being mediator). Kashmir obviously is a big problem. They are working on it. I said I will do whatever I can do to help because my relationship with both gentlemen (PM Modi and Pakistan PM) is so good,” he said.
Asked about terrorism emanating from Pakistan, Mr Trump said that he had discussed the issue with PM Modi during their meeting and he offered all help in combating terror. The “Kashmir (issue) has been a thorn in lots of people’s sight for a long time, and there are two sides to every story. We discussed terrorism at length,” he said.
Religious Freedom: It’s up to India
On the issue of the Citizenship Amendment Act CAA), President Trump said that he will leave the matter to the Indian government, expressing hope it will make a right decision. “PM (Modi) said he wants people to have religious freedom. They have worked really hard on it. I heard about individual attacks but I did not discuss it. It is up to India,” he said.
On the US peace deal with Taliban, he said: “I spoke to PM Modi on it. I think India would like to see it happen. We are pretty close. Everybody is happy about it.”
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.10.20India, EU review 2025 roadmap, agree to advance FTA talks
- India and the World2021.09.30Quad set to grow stronger, more focus on economic than China
- Diplomacy2021.09.27Webinar: Eminent diplomats, experts to map post-summit future of Quad
- Diplomacy2021.09.25Quad summit bats for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific