STOCKHOLM: Infusing new energy and vigour in their bilateral relationship, India and Sweden have signed a landmark agreement on forging an innovation partnership and agreed to upscale their economic and strategic ties.
India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Swedish counterpart Stefan Lofven held wide-ranging talks in Stockholm on April 17 and discussed prospects of expanding cooperation in diverse areas.
“There are excellent opportunities for cooperation in the fields of smart cities, clean technology, universal housing, renewable energy, e-mobility, start-up, waste disposal, and many others with an objective of creating jobs and sustainable development for our people in India,” said Mr Modi.
The overarching thrust of Modi’s talks with the Swedish leader was to enlist Sweden’s support for socio-economic transformation of India and for upgrading standards of living of people of India.
In his interaction with CEOs of top Swedish companies, PM Modi pitched for their participation in Make in India and showcased India as an attractive investment destination.
Mr Modi also called on Sweden’s King Carl XVI Gustaf and exchanged views on bolstering bilateral cooperation spanning several sectors.
The talks in Stockholm have imparted a new direction to India-Sweden relations by putting technology and innovation at the heart of this burgeoning relationship. Stockholm rolled out the red carpet to welcome PM Modi, the first Indian prime minister to visit the Scandinavian country in three decades.
Later in the day, India will hold its first summit with the leaders of five Nordic countries, including Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Iceland.
The India-Nordic Summit is designed to accelerate India’s economic and strategic engagement with the Nordic countries which are famous for their high standard of living and exceptional record of eco- friendly development.”
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2021.03.05Connectivity with Bangladesh is of prime importance, says Jaishankar in Dhaka
- India and the World2021.03.01Environment in the Media webinar: It’s time for world to unite against global warming
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region