STOCKHOLM: India is poised to hold its first summit with the leaders of five Nordic countries which will focus on forging a mutually empowering partnership centered on technology and innovation.India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Swedish counterpart Stefan Lofven will co-host the India-Nordic Summit on April 17, in which the leaders of Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Iceland will participate
The India-Nordic Summit is designed to accelerate India’s economic and strategic engagement with the Nordic countries which are famous for their high standard of living and exceptional record of eco- friendly development.”The Nordic countries have globally recognized strengths in clean technologies, environmental solutions, ports modernization, cold-chains, skill development and innovation. Nordic competencies fit well with our vision for India’s transformation,” said Mr Modi in a statement ahead of the summit.
The summit is expected to culminate in collaborations in manufacturing under the Make in India initiative. India-Nordic bilateral trade is around $5.3 billion. Investments from Nordic countries into India are growing and are estimated at over $2.5 billion.Mr Modi touched down in Stockholm, Sweden on April 16. He was received warmly by Mr Lofven at the airport. “Landed in Stockholm. I thank Prime Minister Stefan Löfven for the warm welcome at the airport”, tweeted Denmark, Finland and Iceland will participate Mr Modi.
Ahead of the India-Nordic summit, the prime ministers of India and Sweden will hold wide-ranging talks. Mr. Modi will also call on Sweden’s King Carl XVI Gustaf.India and Sweden are expected to sign a clutch of agreements, including a new innovation partnership agreement and an umbrella security agreement which will enable Sweden to share sensitive technology with India.
This is the first prime ministerial visit from India to Sweden in 30 years after the last visit of Rajiv Gandhi in 1988.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.04.22PM Modi invites world to partner with India for green development
- India and the World2021.04.22What Biden-Suga summit means for Indo-Pacific
- India and the World2021.04.09After Modi visit, India, Bangladesh focus on forging “youth maitri bridge”
- India and the World2021.04.08Post-Modi visit, webinar to focus on next steps in India-Bangladesh partnership