The Taliban militia entered Kabul in a triumphal march on a black Sunday, and look set to proclaim the Islamic Emirate, the self-same regime which was dislodged by the US-led forces two decades ago. It’s a crowning irony, as on September 11 this year, the 20th anniversary of 9/11 attacks the Taliban will be ruling Kabul.
Confirming worst suspicions about their intentions, the Taliban said on August 15 that it would soon declare the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan from the presidential palace in the capital, Kabul.
In a day of rapid developments, President Ashraf Ghani left the country and is reported to be in Tajikistan. The government’s acting interior minister, Abdul Sattar Mirzakawal, had said that power would be handed over to a transitional administration.
Vice president Amrullah Saleh, however, struck a defiant note. “I will bever betray the soul and legacy of my hero Ahmad Shah Masoud, the commander, the legend and the guide. I won’t disappoint millions who listened to me. I will never be under one ceiling with the Taliban. NEVER,” the vice president wrote on Twitter.
Mr Ghani was evacuated by the United States and was taken to Dushanbe in Tajikistan, according to some media reports. It is not yet confirmed whether he has resigned from the post or not.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2021.09.25Quad summit bats for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific
- What they Say2021.09.24Kamala Harris inspiration for the world: Modi
- Diplomacy2021.09.24India, Australia PMs discuss Covid-19, clean energy amid AUKUS row
- China Connect2021.09.24Chinese envoy cautious India against Quad ‘clique politics,’ seeks better ties