Nepal’s woes don’t seem to be ending anytime soon, as a fresh tremor of magnitude 4.0 rocked the quake-hit Nepal, where more than 7,500 people have died and over 14,500 injured.
The fresh tremor began at 06:39 am, with its epicenter on the border of Dhading and Nuwakot districts, which are a part of earthquake-prone Nepal’s Bagmati zone that had already suffered in the April 25 earthquake, killing and wounding many. On May 2, tremors were felt in several parts of Nepal, which had caused landslides in various regions.
After the first 7.9 magnitude quake, several aftershocks have occurred from the remote Sindhupalchowk district to the heart of the capital in Kathmandu, claiming thousands of lives and bringing mass destruction in the tiny Himalayan nation.
National Seismological Centre chief Lok Bijaya Adhikari said, “143 aftershocks of magnitude greater than 4.0 on Richter Scale have occurred after the April 25 quake.”
He added, “Today, we also did survey of some of the eastern parts of the country like Sindhuli and Udayapur districts and assessed the damage there and relief requirements further thereof.”
According to the latest report issued by the UN’s humanitarian agency OCHA (Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs), the earthquake has destroyed 191,058 homes and damaged as many as 175,162 so far.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region
- Diplomacy2021.02.22PM Morrison reaches out to India amid Australia v/s Facebook tussle
- India and the World2021.02.18Forging closer India-EU partnership in Indo-Pacific