For all its myriad splendours and attractions, India only gets 0.64 percent of the global tourist traffic. Finally, the ruling dispensation in India has woken up to the potential, with the new government taking a slew of steps to entice more tourists to this emerging Asian power underpinned by millennia-old civilization.
Indi’s Minister of State for Culture and Tourism Mahesh Sharma has voiced disappointment at the pitiable figure of tourists coming into the country, but at the same time has sought to push the envelope by setting the target at 1 per cent of global tourists flow over the next three years.
The minister unveiled a multi-pronged strategy to boost tourism. He said that India has extended visa on arrival facility to as many as 76 countries so far, and it has planned to extend this facility to more countries in the upcoming months.
In 2013, India earned $18.3 billion from global tourist flows. The Modi government has firmed up a national tourism policy 2015 draft, which envisages increasing the share of tourism to 6.7 per cent to the country’s GDP.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2021.04.09After Modi visit, India, Bangladesh focus on forging “youth maitri bridge”
- India and the World2021.04.08Post-Modi visit, webinar to focus on next steps in India-Bangladesh partnership
- Diplomacy2021.04.06India, Russia FMs hold talks on Afghanistan, strategic ties
- Diplomacy2021.03.27Modi visits Kali temple in Bangladesh, offers to build community hall