The resolution is as per Chapter 7 of the UN Charter, which authorises the Security Council to enforce decisions with economic sanctions or force.
United States’ President Barack Obama, who chaired the session, said that the nations must come together todismantle the Islamic States’ “network of death”.
The resolution was adopted unanimously on September 24 at the special session of the Council. This was only the sixth time in UN history that the Security Council was assembling at the level of heads of state.
Describing the adoption of the resolution as ‘historic’, Obama added, “The words spoken here today must be matched and translated into action… within nations and between them, not just in the days ahead but for years to come.”
The agreement comes in the wake of the barbaric beheading of a French citizen by an IS linked group in Algeria besides similar execution of other European and American nationals including journalists.
“We stand with you and the French people as you grieve this terrible loss and as you stand up against terror in defence of liberty,” said Obama.
Since September 22, a US-led coalition consisting of Arab States, have targeted militant facilities in Syria. The latest campaign by the coalition has bombed oil facilities under control of the global jihadist group in Syria.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2022.01.07India snubs Pakistan yet again, says no to SAARC summit
- Diplomacy2021.12.24Canada’s new envoy to India to re-energise ties
- News2021.12.23Post-Covid, Modi sees India emerging as a world leader
- India and the World2021.12.15Speaker’s visit set to energise India-Vietnam ties