Amid relentless ceasefire violations along the Line of Control, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has asked India and Pakistan to resolve their issues through dialogue.
“The Secretary-General would call on both countries to resolve their issues diplomatically and through discussions,” Mr Ban’s spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said October 8. He was responding to a question on whether the UN chief can play the role of a peace-maker between the two countries.
Pakistan has also formally lodged a protest with India on the alleged ceasefire violations and has even approached the UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) office. India has made it clear many a time that the UNMOGIP has “outlived its relevance” and has “no role to play whatsoever”.
The two nuclear-armed South Asian neighbours have accused each other of targeting civilians and unprovoked violations of the 11-year-old ceasefire agreement.
Nine Pakistani and eight Indian civilians have been slaughtered since fighting erupted more than week ago in the worst case of ceasefire violations since 2003.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Africa Insights2022.07.20Jaishankar outlines new triad for India-Africa ties: health digital and green growth
- Diplomacy2022.07.20India, Africa co-partners in economic growth: Piyush Goyal
- India and the World2022.07.15I2U2 Quad unveils plans for making India regional food hub
- News2022.07.11Modi unveils National Emblem cast on the roof of the new Parliament