Calling Pakistan an aggressor, India has toughened its stance on what it sees as unprovoked ceasefire violations, with the country’s defence minister warning grimly that Indian forces will “make this adventurism costly and unaffordable.”
“Pakistan in these attacks has clearly been the aggressor but it must realise that our deterrence will be credible. If Pakistan persists with this adventurism, our forces will make the cost of this adventurism unaffordable,’’ Defence Minister Arun Jaitley said in a statement on border situation in Jammu and Kashmir. The minister made it clear to Pakistan that the Indian armed forces, including the Army and the Border Security Force, will “respond adequately and defend our territory and our people.” This is the only option, he stressed.
Lauding Indian troops for doing a commendable job in the face of unrelenting hostility and unprovoked acts of aggression by Pakistan, Mr Jaitely said: “India is a responsible State. It is never an aggressor but at the same time it has a paramount duty to defend its people and its territory.”
The worst ceasefire violations in more than a decade, which has killed nine people and displaced several hundreds, has stressed India-Pakistan ties, with the two countries indulging in an endless game of mutual recrimination. It’s not clear what’s driving this frenzy of unprovoked aggression from the Pakistani side, but many analysts see this as a desperate assertion by Pakistan’s all-powerful military to re-assert control over Islamabad’s New Delhi policy.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2022.10.05German Unity Day celebrations: Olympic gold, music & dance…
- Diplomacy2022.09.29Modi’s Tokyo visit: Abe power will continue to propel India-Japan ties
- Diplomacy2022.09.28War of narratives: Jaishankar takes on the US media for its “biased” coverages
- Diplomacy2022.09.28Days after Modi-Putin meeting, Lavrov backs India for UNSC seat