In an early success in the hostage crisis, two of the four Indian teachers kidnapped in Libya by Islamic State militants have been freed and brought back safely to the University of Sirte.
The released Indians included Laxmikant and Vijay Kumar, residents of Karnataka.
“I hope that the other two are also released soon,” said Vijaylakshmi, whose brother Lakshmikanth was rescued.
The two Indians who continue to be in captivity are both residents of Andhra Pradesh — Gopikrishna Tiruveedula, a professor in computer science, and his colleague Balram.
Both the Central government and the Andhra Pradesh are in touch and have intensified efforts to secure the release of the remaining hostages.
The kidnapping has highlighted the growing threat of the Islamic State for India and has coincided with the outing of an internal recruitment document of ISIL which showed the group was preparing to attack India and draw the United States into war.
The internal recruitment document was translated into English by a Harvard scholar and was verified by senior intelligence officials. If ISIL manages to attack India, it would raise its stature and threaten the stability of the region, according to Bruce Riedel, a retired CIA official.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- China Connect2020.11.28A New Start, A New Journey
- Diplomacy2020.11.26India-Italy Connect: The Road Ahead (WEBINAR VIDEO)
- India and the World2020.11.25Italian envoy calls for rebalancing Europe-China ties, pitches for enhanced defence ties with India
- Diplomacy2020.11.24India eyes closer ties with Bahrain, UAE, and Seychelles