Iran’s landmark deal with major powers of the world is set to hasten its reintegration into the global mainstream, with the SCO looking to induct Tehran as a full-fledged member.
Dmitry Mezentsev Secretary General of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Dmitry Mezentsev said recently that the recent conclusion of Iran’s nuclear talks with the P5+1 countries will pave the way for Iran’s full membership at the SCO. Speaking at the sidelines of a forum of the heads of leading SCO media outlets in Moscow, Mr Mezentsev spoke about the positive impact of the nuclear agreement on the world’s attitude towards Tehran.
Due to the sanctions imposed on Iran, it was not possible to grant Iran full time membership to the organisation, added Mr Mezentsev. With the sanctions set to be lifted by the beginning of 2016, it would be easier to put Iran’s full time membership on the SCO’s agenda after that. According to the agreement in the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) finalized in Vienna between Iran and P5+1 powers, all economic and financial sanctions will be removed, along with bans on shipping, Iran’s Central Bank, oil and gas industry, and many other companies will be lifted.
India and Pakistan were cleared for full membership at the SCO summit in Ufa. With a resurgent Iran set to get inside the SCO tent, the Eurasian grouping is poised to become a more powerful regional grouping. India, for one, will be backing Iran’s membership as it will bring in another influential regional actor to combat rising extremism in the region and to shape an inclusive reconciliation in Afghanistan.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.11.26Putin visit to India: 2+2 boost for India-Russia ties
- Diplomacy2021.11.2626/11@13: India reminds Pakistan of closure, justice for Mumbai terror victims
- India and the World2021.11.18PM Modi warns world about crypto-currencies falling in wrong hands
- Business with India2021.11.15FTAs with Australia, UK, UAE on fast track: Piyush Goyal