Syria’s Foreign Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Walid Al-Muallem will be on a three-day official visit to India from January 11 during which he will meet top leaders in India. In the backdrop of the rise of terror group Islamic State in the region, the focus of the talks would mostly be on combating terrorism.
“He will meet External Affairs minister Sushma Swaraj for bilateral talks of mutual interest. He will also meet the Indian leadership during his stay,” External Affairs Ministry spokesman Vikas Swarup said at a media briefing on January 7.
Mr Muallem will be accompanied by four other delegation members which comprise the vice foreign minister, the advisor to the deputy prime minister, chief of cabinet of the deputy prime minister and another official from the minister’s office.
In view of fresh initiatives taken by the UN to bring peace in the war-torn country, the visit is significant. More than 300,000 people have been killed in the past four years and seven million have fled to other countries, according to various reports. The European countries have had to cope with a huge influx of Syrian refugees in 2015.
During Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Moscow in December 2015, he had held detailed talks with Russia’s President Vladimir Putin on the Islamic State and the humanitarian crisis in Syria .
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Power of India2020.09.22We live in an international community linked together at multiple levels by multiple arrangements : Shringla
- India and the World2020.09.22The UN faces a crisis of confidence and today’s challenges cannot be fought with outdated structures : Modi
- The Power of India2020.09.21Our agriculture sector is in desperate need of latest technology that assists the industrious farmers :Modi
- News2020.09.19NEP sets the vision of developing an equitable and vibrant knowledge society: President Kovind