Threatening to carry out a major attack in New York, the Islamic State (IS) released a video on November 18 that suggests it is planning a terror strike in the city similar to the one in Paris. The video shows a man zipping his jacket over a suicide belt and holding a grenade at the iconic Times Square and a few other places.
Describing its intent, the video features ISIS fighters, and a small child, praising the Paris attackers and promising to carry out more strikes on Western targets. Responding to the video, the New York Police Department (NYPD) reassured its citizens, saying: “There is no current or specific threat against the city, but “we will remain at a heightened state of vigilance.”
“Stoking fear is the goal of terrorist organizations, but New York City will not be intimidated. The NYPD is the most capable police force in the country, with a robust counterterrorism operation that was just strengthened with an investment of 500 additional officers. While Times Square and Herald Square appear in the video, the NYPD in conjunction with all of our partners are taking all necessary security precautions in these areas and areas across the City. New Yorkers won’t live in fear and people should continue to go to work, live their lives, and enjoy the greatest city in the world,” New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said in a statement released.
The threat comes in the backdrop of the recent terror attacks in Paris, where the IS has threatened to target major cities in the West.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.09.17AUKUS triggers diplomatic churn, India adopts strategic silence
- India and the World2021.09.17With Taliban on mind, Modi asks SCO to forge template against extremism
- Business with India2021.09.16India, UK eye interim trade deal, aim for $30 billion target
- India and the World2021.09.09BRICS@15 summit: Modi calls for making BRICS more result-oriented