The mastermind of Paris terror attacks, Abdelhamid Abaaoud, is said to have been killed in a massive pre-dawn raid by French police commandos. A team comprising nearly 100 police officers raided an apartment in Saint-Denis, a suburb in Paris where many immigrants reside, during a seven-hour siege on November 18.
The raid left at least two people dead, Paris prosecutor François Molins told reporters hours after the siege. He, however, said he could not provide the identities of the people killed. French security officials declined to confirm or deny that Abaaoud had been killed.
The raid took place after investigators followed leads that the mastermind was hiding in the area and could be planning another major attack.
Two European officials, who declined to be identified, however, confirmed the death of the prime suspect. They said they had received the information about Abaaoud’s death from French authorities, according to various reports.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2021.09.25Quad summit bats for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific
- What they Say2021.09.24Kamala Harris inspiration for the world: Modi
- Diplomacy2021.09.24India, Australia PMs discuss Covid-19, clean energy amid AUKUS row
- China Connect2021.09.24Chinese envoy cautious India against Quad ‘clique politics,’ seeks better ties