To bolster the capability of frontline soldiers in defending the country, the Indian Army has signed a mega $100 million- contract for procuring 72,400 assault rifles with Sig Sauer of the US.The much-awaited contract was signed on February 12 with the US-based defence company through fast-track procurement. The entire consignment will be delivered in 12 months, India’s defence ministry in a statement.The new US-made rifles are compact, robust, modern in technology and simple to maintain in field conditions with high “kill range,” said a defence ministry official.The new rifles, which will replace the INSAS (Indian Small Arms System) rifles, will cost Rs 700 crore (100 million USD approx.).Of the 72,400 rifles, the Army will get 66,4000. The Indian Air Force will get 4000 and 2000 high-end rifles will be allocated to the Indian Navy.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- China Connect2020.11.28A New Start, A New Journey
- Diplomacy2020.11.26India-Italy Connect: The Road Ahead (WEBINAR VIDEO)
- India and the World2020.11.25Italian envoy calls for rebalancing Europe-China ties, pitches for enhanced defence ties with India
- Diplomacy2020.11.24India eyes closer ties with Bahrain, UAE, and Seychelles