Around twenty-nine fishermen from Nagapattinam district in Tamil Nadu were detained by Sri Lankan naval personnel on December 31 when they were fishing off Trincomallee coast in Sri Lanka, according to a fisheries department official.
The naval men also took their three boats along with them, according to Subburaj, the Joint Director of Fisheries Department. Mr Subburaj said that the fishermen from Akkaraipettai in Nagapattinam district, along with their boats, had been taken to an army camp in Trincomalee. They have been detained there, he added.
The fishing nets of a group of fishermen from Rameswaram were allegedly cut by Lankan navy personnel on December 23 when they were fishing near Katchatheevu. Four fishermen were taken into custody while fishing there two days earlier.
Tamil Nadu’s Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressing her concerns at recurring instances of such arrests.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region
- Diplomacy2021.02.22PM Morrison reaches out to India amid Australia v/s Facebook tussle
- India and the World2021.02.18Forging closer India-EU partnership in Indo-Pacific