Around twenty-nine fishermen from Nagapattinam district in Tamil Nadu were detained by Sri Lankan naval personnel on December 31 when they were fishing off Trincomallee coast in Sri Lanka, according to a fisheries department official.
The naval men also took their three boats along with them, according to Subburaj, the Joint Director of Fisheries Department. Mr Subburaj said that the fishermen from Akkaraipettai in Nagapattinam district, along with their boats, had been taken to an army camp in Trincomalee. They have been detained there, he added.
The fishing nets of a group of fishermen from Rameswaram were allegedly cut by Lankan navy personnel on December 23 when they were fishing near Katchatheevu. Four fishermen were taken into custody while fishing there two days earlier.
Tamil Nadu’s Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressing her concerns at recurring instances of such arrests.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2022.12.01India@G20: A presidency of healing, harmony and hope
- Diplomacy2022.11.27India’s G20 presidency to focus on global good: PM Modi
- Diplomacy2022.11.16Modi’s green diplomacy in Bali: India joins Mangrove Alliance for Climate
- Diplomacy2022.11.15India calls for Ukraine dialogue, focus on energy security