Hailing the resumption of India-Pakistan dialogue and Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s gesture of visiting Lahore on his way back from Kabul last on December 25, Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif underlined the need for the two countries to put aide hostilities and create a friendly environment to resolve all issues.
“Indian Prime Minister came to Lahore and gave us a few hours. It is high time the countries put aside their hostilities,” said Mr Sharif.
On December 25, Mr Modi surprised everyone by flying from Kabul to Lahore to meet Mr Sharif. It was Mr Modi’s first visit to Pakistan since taking office in 2014 and also the first visit to Pakistan by an Indian Prime Minister in 12 years.
The two leaders had last met in Paris on November 30, on the sidelines of the global Climate Change summit, which paved the way for warmer ties and resumption of dialogue. “During Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj’s visit to Islamabad it had been decided that the two countries would restart dialogue on all issues. Pakistan and India will have to create a friendly environment to resolve their issues,” Mr Sharif said. Mr Sharif added that all disputes and conflicts anywhere in the world were resolved through talks.
The foreign secretaries of India and Pakistan are expected to meet mid-January to discuss modalities of the Comprehensive Bilateral Dialogue, which the two countries had decided to launch during External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj’s visit to Islamabad.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.10.20India, EU review 2025 roadmap, agree to advance FTA talks
- India and the World2021.09.30Quad set to grow stronger, more focus on economic than China
- Diplomacy2021.09.27Webinar: Eminent diplomats, experts to map post-summit future of Quad
- Diplomacy2021.09.25Quad summit bats for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific