Prime Minister Narendra Modi received the ‘Global Goalkeeper’ Award by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, on 24 September 2019. The award ceremony took place on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) session in New York. Prime Minister dedicated the award to those Indians who transformed the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan into a mass movement and made it a part of their daily lives.“The success of the Swachh Bharat Mission is due to the people of India. They made this their own movement and ensured the desired results were attained.”, Prime Minister said after receiving the award.
Terming it as a significant moment personally to receive the award on the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, Prime Minister said Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is proof that when 130 crore Indians take a pledge, any challenge can be overcome. He added that India is making remarkable progress in fulfilling Mahatma Gandhi’s dream of a Swachh Bharat.
“In the last five years, a record of more than 11 crore toilets were constructed. This mission has benefitted the poor and women of the country the most”, Prime Minister noted. In addition to improving sanitation and health, building of 11 crore toilets has also boosted economic activity in villages, PM added.Speaking about improving global sanitation coverage, Prime Minister said that India is ready to share its expertise and experiences with other nations, so that there can be collective effort towards increasing sanitation coverage.
PM receives ‘Global Goal Keeper Award’ for Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- China Connect2023.03.23Chinese diplomat cautious against third-party interference in border dispute with India
- India and the World2023.03.20Japan PM seeks India’s central role in updated Indo-Pacific strategy
- India and the World2023.03.15Why India-US semi-conductor agreement matters
- Diplomacy2023.03.11India-China conflict likely to escalate: US intelligence report