I want to first and foremost congratulate and compliment all the scientists, researchers and others associated with this Mission Shakti, including from DRDO, for their success. The nation is proud of them.Outer space has today become a critical part of our day to day lives. It is no longer as far as it appears. A large number of Indian satellites are today orbiting around the earth helping our farmers, our fishermen, our students, our armed forces and our workers in different ways. They provide us with help in agriculture, communication links, help in disaster management, in weather forecasting, navigation, education and help our planes, ships and even trains to move. The benefits of our satellites are reaching every Indian.
The importance of space and satellites in the world will continue to grow. Possibly, life will be incomplete without them. In such a condition, defending and securing these valuable assets becomes equally important. From the point of view of India’s security and economic development, today’s ASAT missile will give the country new strength.
Today, I also want to assure the international community that the new capability we have developed is not directed against anyone. India has no intention to threaten anyone. This is an effort to secure a fast growing India. India has always been opposed to the weaponisation of space and an arms race in outer space, and this test does not in any way change this position. Today’s test does not violate any international law or Treaty obligation to which India is a party.
We want to use modern day technologies for the security and welfare of our 1.3 billion people. A strong India can be a guarantor of peace in the region and beyond. Our strategic objective is to preserve peace, not prepare for war.The main objective of our space programme is ensuring the country’s security, its economic development and India’s technological progress. Today’s Mission Shakti is another important step in ensuring these dreams, which is important for ensuring the security of all these three pillars.
The success achieved today should be seen as a step in the direction of building a secure nation, a prosperous nation, and a peace-loving nation. It is necessary for us to look ahead and prepare for the future today. We have to keep pace with technology so that we can positively transform the lives of our people.All Indians must feel secure and have the confidence to meet the challenges of the future.
I have great faith in the qualities of hardwork, determination and dedication and talent of our people. I have no doubt that together we can continue to build a strong, prosperous and secure India.I imagine country which thinks two steps ahead of its times, and also has the courage to move forward on this path.Once again, my greetings to all my countrymen on today’s great success, and my compliments once again to all those who were associated with this mission.
Excerpts from the Speech by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on ”Mission Shakti”, India’s Anti-Satellite Missile test conducted on 27 March, 2019
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2022.12.01India@G20: A presidency of healing, harmony and hope
- Diplomacy2022.11.27India’s G20 presidency to focus on global good: PM Modi
- Diplomacy2022.11.16Modi’s green diplomacy in Bali: India joins Mangrove Alliance for Climate
- Diplomacy2022.11.15India calls for Ukraine dialogue, focus on energy security