The battle for the minds and hearts of people in India’s northern state Jammu and Kashmir has moved into a high gear, with the turnout in in the second phase of elections in the state almost equal to the first phase, with a figure of 71%.
The first phase of the elections, held on November 25, saw the highest turnout in a quarter century, with 72.1% voters casting their franchise.
The spectacular turn-out underlines the high stakes the elections has for the BJP, the ruling party at the centre, which is expected to get its highest ever tally in Jammu and Kashmir this time round. The National Conference-Congress coalition is reeling under anti-incumbency and is set to suffer a drubbing. The People’s Democratic Party, led by Mufti Mohammad Sayeed, a former home minister of India, and his daughter Mehbooba Mufti, is on an upswing, latest opinion polls indicate.
“Polling has established that the people of the state especially Kashmir have seen through the game of dividing their votes to facilitate foisting a government through intrigue. The fact that overwhelming majority of people came out to vote is an indication that their mission to bring about a change was taking shape on the ground,” PDP President Mehbooba Mufti said.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2023.03.20Japan PM seeks India’s central role in updated Indo-Pacific strategy
- India and the World2023.03.15Why India-US semi-conductor agreement matters
- Diplomacy2023.03.11India-China conflict likely to escalate: US intelligence report
- India and the World2023.03.10India, Australia to strengthen security, Indo-Pacific cooperation