India’s President Pranab Mukherjee conferred the country’s highest civilian honour, Bharat Ratna, to Madan Mohan Malaviya posthumously, at the Rastrapati Bhavan (presidential house) in New Delhi. Besides being a freedom fighter, Malaviya was also a visionary and four times Congress President.
Family members of the multifaceted educationalist were present at the venue to receive the award.
The president also awarded Padma Vibhushan to India’s political stalwarts, L. K. Advani, Prakash Singh Badal and lawyer Harish Salve.
Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya, also fondly called Mahamana, founded Banaras Hindu University with Annie Besant and was regarded as one of India’s top educationists. The BHU remains one of the country’s premier educational establishments in the country till date. Noted for his significant contribution in Indian politics, he served the Indian National Congress for nearly 50 years. He was also the chairman of Hindustan Times and one of the initial leaders of Hindu Mahasabha.
The slogan ‘Satyameva Jayate’ was given to the nation from Mundakopanishad by him. He was instrumental in the Harijan Movement to curb untouchability. The award for Malaviya was announced just after his 153rd birth anniversary in December 2014.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2022.11.27India’s G20 presidency to focus on global good: PM Modi
- Diplomacy2022.11.16Modi’s green diplomacy in Bali: India joins Mangrove Alliance for Climate
- Diplomacy2022.11.15India calls for Ukraine dialogue, focus on energy security
- India and the World2022.11.11Russia-Ukraine War: India’s Global Balancing Act