In his third State of the Union address to a joint session of Congress on January 4, US President Donald Trump highlighted staggering results from the “great American comeback” quest that his administration promised three years ago.The maverick American leader claimed there are more jobs and incomes today, the crime and poverty rates have fallen, and there is surging confidence among the citizens. While America’s fortunes have never been so bright, its enemies are on the run, Mr Trump declared in his speech, which came a day before the scheduled final Senate vote on his impeachment trial.
Arresting Decline of America
Mr Trump said that in less than three years his administration “shattered the mentality of American decline”, and moved ahead at a pace that was just unthinkable when he had taken over the presidency.“The years of economic decay are over. The days of our country being used, taken advantage of, and even scorned by other nations are long behind us,” he said, adding that the economy is at its best.The unemployment rate is the lowest in five decades, and the US wouldn’t have witnessed this great economic success had his administration not reversed the past failed policies, Mr Trump declared.Since he took office, Mr Trump said that a record number of “job-killing regulations” were slashed, enacted “record-setting tax cuts”, and fought for reciprocal trade pacts that yielded positive results.
Criticizing the past policies, he added that more than seven million people were off the food stamps and ten million others were off the government welfare programs.In addition, 3.5 million working-age people have joined the workforce in just three years, a major turnaround, considering over 300,000 people had dropped out during the last administration.The U.S. stock market added $12 trillion to the country’s wealth, and 12,000 new factories were built even as thousands of other plants were being planned or being built, he said.
‘Best ever ties with China’
Mr Trump said that he effectively responded to China’s “massive theft of America’s jobs” as he promised to the American citizens by imposing tariffs, and it worked. “We signed a groundbreaking new agreement with China that will defend our workers, protect our intellectual property, bring billions and billions of dollars into our treasury, and open vast new markets for products made and grown right here in the USA,” Mr Trump declared. The United States today, he said, shares the best relationship it ever had with China. President Trump said that his administration’s next step is to ensure that every young American gets all the opportunity to live his or her “American Dream”.He said that his government is in touch with over 400 US companies to provide new jobs and education opportunities to 15 million Americans.
To further strengthen the country’s borders, a “tall and very powerful wall” is being built on the southern boundary. It will prevent the entry of alien migrants who drain the American taxpayer’s money on their medical care and rehabilitation, Mr Trump said. “We have now completed over 100 miles and have over 500 miles fully completed in a very short period of time. Early next year, we will have substantially more than 500 miles completed,” he said.
‘Terrorist won’t escape justice’
Mr Trump said that no terrorist will ever be able to escape American justice if they attack its citizens. “Our message to the terrorists is clear: You will never escape American justice. If you attack our citizens, you forfeit your life,” He said that Iran must stop spreading terror, death, and destruction, noting that many Iranian citizens have raised voices against their oppressive rulers.
“It must start working for the good of its own people,” he added.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. Centre for Global India Insights is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs.
- India and the WorldMarch 2, 2024Jaishankar charts India’s ascent to a leading power
- India and the WorldMarch 1, 2024India-Mauritius Connect: From Runways to RuPay
- India and the WorldFebruary 28, 2024Gaza crisis: Jaishankar pitches for sustainable solution, says terror unacceptable
- India and the WorldFebruary 26, 2024Raisina Call: It’s time for a female UN Secretary-General