AHMEDABAD: In a stirring speech praising the success of India and Prime Minister Narendra Modi, US President Donald Trump told hundreds of thousands of Indians that he has come with a message that America loves India and announced that the two countries will sign defence deals worth $3 billion in New Delhi on February 25.
“I’m pleased to announce that tomorrow our representatives will sign deals to sell over US $ 3 Billion, in the absolute finest state of the art military helicopters and other equipment to the Indian armed forces,” said Mr Trump at the ‘Namaste Trump’ show at the world’s largest cricket stadium in Ahmedabad on February 24.
“As we continue to build our defence cooperation, the US looks forward to providing India with some of the best and most feared military equipment on the planet. We make the greatest weapons ever made. We make the best and we are dealing now with India,” said Mr Trump on Day of his much-publicised maiden visit to India.
The defence deals are expected to be signed after talks between PM Modi and President Trump at Hyderabad House in New Delhi on February 25.
In his nearly half an hour speech, Mr Trump lavished praise on India, saying: “We will always remember this remarkable hospitality. India will hold a special place in our hearts.” “I have travelled 8,000 miles across the globe to convey just a message that America loves India. US respects India, will be a faithful and loyal friend, ” said the US President at ‘Namaste Trump’ event.
“I would like to begin by thanking my special friend – Prime Minister Modi The prime minister – the son of a tea seller in this very city – has had a remarkable rise. He is a great man. Everybody loves him, but he is a very tough guy. The rise of India in the last 7 decades has been remarkable… The pace at which it has grown in the last 2 decades phenomenal. The people of India are an inspiration for the rest of the world,” he said.
“Trump’s speech will stand out for his effusive praise of India and his heart-felt belief in indispensable partnership between India and the US,” said Manish Chand, CEO & Editor-in-Chief, India and the World magazine. “Another remarkable feature of Trump’s speech at Motera stadium in India was his gushing admiration for Prime Minister Modi whom he held as an example of limitless possibilities of India. This resonant praise of Modi at a time when he is under attack from critics in India and abroad is extremely significant as it indicates that Trump is not going to be swayed by vitriolic anti-Modi propaganda and will continue to support India’s rise as an emerging global power,” said Mr Chand.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region
- Diplomacy2021.02.22PM Morrison reaches out to India amid Australia v/s Facebook tussle
- India and the World2021.02.18Forging closer India-EU partnership in Indo-Pacific