The formal inauguration of the new Indian embassy in Asuncion, the capital of Paraguay, this week signals a new momentum in India’s outreach to Latin America, which is often described as the last frontier for Indian diplomacy.
The new embassy was jointly inaugurated by India’s External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar and his counterpart Julio Cesar Arriola in Asuncion on August 22.
“Jointly inaugurated the new Indian Embassy in Paraguay with FM Julio Cesar Arriola. Thank Minister of Interior @FedericoA_GF for his presence. A reiteration of our strong bilateral relationship and our long-standing multilateral cooperation,” Jaishankar tweeted.
“Confident that this new resident mission will take the India-Paraguay relations to greater heights,” he tweeted.
This is Jaishankar’s first-ever official visit to South America, which also includes Brazil and Argentine.
Mr Jaishankar’s visit to the three countries will provide an opportunity to continue the ongoing high-level engagements with our partners in LAC, explore new areas of cooperation in the post-pandemic era, and exchange views on issues of bilateral and international significance, said India’s external affairs ministry in a statement.
Although separated by thousands of miles and located in different time zones, trade India-Latin America economic ties are on an upward swing.
According to the Commerce Ministry of India, India’s exports to Latin America reached a record high of 18.89 billion dollars in 2021-22 (April-March). The exports have increased by an impressive 48% from 12.74 billion dollars in 2020-21. India’s exports to Latin America reached a record high of 18.89 billion dollars in 2021-22 (April-March), according to the Commerce Ministry of India. The exports have increased by an impressive 48% from 12.74 billion dollars in 2020-21.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2023.05.19With Global South on mind, Modi touches down in Hiroshima for G7 summit
- India and the World2023.04.28A Time for Global South in G20
- India and the World2023.04.26Continent of Hope: It’s Time for Compact with Africa 2.0
- Events/Seminar2023.04.14Inclusion, Global South to guide India’s G20 presidency