In a rare honour, French President Emmanuel Macron bestowed the Grand Cross of the Legion of Honour on Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the last day of his visit to Paris.
It is the highest French honour in military or civilian orders. With this, PM Modi becomes the first Indian PM to receive this honour.
PM Modi profusely thanked French President Macron for the honour on behalf of the people of India. The award ceremony took place at the majestic Elysee Palace where Macron hosted PM Modi for a private dinner on July 13.
“Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi was conferred with the Grand Cross of the Legion of Honour, France’s highest award, on 13 July 2023, by H.E. Mr. Emmanuel Macron, President of the Republic of France. Prime Minister thanked President Macron for this singular honour on behalf of the people of India,” the Ministry of External Affairs said in the statement.
Macron, welcoming India as the Guest of Honour at the French annual celebrations, hailed the country as “a giant in world history, with a decisive role to play in the future, a strategic partner, a friend”.
On July 14, PM Modi was received by French First Lady Brigitte Macron and Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne at the iconic avenue Champs-Elysees which hosts the National Day parade — one of the oldest and largest regular military parades in Europe. PM Modi is attending the parade as the Guest of Honour.
The historic avenue between Place de la Concorde in the east and the Place Charles de Gaulle in the west, where the Arc de Triomphe is located, was adorned in the French flag colours of red, blue and white as the parade began.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. Centre for Global India Insights is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs.
- India and the WorldMarch 2, 2024Jaishankar charts India’s ascent to a leading power
- India and the WorldMarch 1, 2024India-Mauritius Connect: From Runways to RuPay
- India and the WorldFebruary 28, 2024Gaza crisis: Jaishankar pitches for sustainable solution, says terror unacceptable
- India and the WorldFebruary 26, 2024Raisina Call: It’s time for a female UN Secretary-General