With the coronavirus outbreak declared a pandemic by the WHO, Prime Minister Narendra Modi held telephonic talks with his Israeli and UK counterparts and discussed enhanced global coordination to tackle the scourge that has killed over 3,000 people.
During his talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on March 11, PM Modi exchanged views on the global situation regarding COVID-19 and discussed bilateral relations. In his discussion with his British counterpart Boris Johnson on March 12, he touched on a host of bilateral issues besides the coronavirus. The two leaders expressed their desire to further strengthen the India-UK strategic partnership in the new decade, said a statement by the Ministry of External Affairs. They agreed that it would be useful to formulate a comprehensive roadmap towards this objective.
The leaders expressed their satisfaction at cooperation between India and the UK in the field of climate change, especially concerning the Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI). PM Modi thanked Johnson for the invitation to COP-26 in Glasgow later this year.
The two prime ministers also exchanged views on the COVID-19 epidemic. PM Modi expressed concern over UK Health Minister Nadine Dorries’ testing positive for coronavirus and wished her a speedy recovery. He also reiterated his invitation to Mr Johnson to visit India.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2022.09.29Modi’s Tokyo visit: Abe power will continue to propel India-Japan ties
- Diplomacy2022.09.28War of narratives: Jaishankar takes on the US media for its “biased” coverages
- Diplomacy2022.09.28Days after Modi-Putin meeting, Lavrov backs India for UNSC seat
- India and the World2022.09.27India protests US’s F-16 funds for Pakistan: You are not fooling anybody