The rapid spread of coronavirus across Europe has hit travel plans of India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Brussels, leading to the cancellation of the planned India-EU summit in the Belgian capital.
India and the 27-nation European Union were scheduled to hold their 17th summit in Brussels on March 13. However, in view of the threat of coronavirus, the Indian government has decided to defer the India-EU summit.
“With regard to the proposed India-EU Summit, both sides have agreed that due to health authorities advising against travel between regions, it would be wise to re-schedule the Summit to a later mutually convenient date,” Raveesh Kumar, spokesperson of India’s Ministry of External Affairs, told journalists in New Delhi on March 5.
“The decision has been taken in the spirit of the close cooperation between India and the EU who share the same concerns and commitment to global health and hope that the outbreak is contained soon,” he said.
The 27-nation EU is the largest trading partner of India. India-EU summit was expected to focus on enhancing security and economic relations between the two sides.
However, COVID-19 has not affected Mr Modi’s proposed travel to Dhaka on March 17 to attend the centenary celebrations of Bangladesh’s founder Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2021.03.05Connectivity with Bangladesh is of prime importance, says Jaishankar in Dhaka
- India and the World2021.03.01Environment in the Media webinar: It’s time for world to unite against global warming
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region