Months after Iran struck a landmark nuclear deal with Western powers, the first strains have surfaced with reports of Tehran testing a medium-range Emad rocket on October 10. The rocket has been found to be a ballistic missile capable of delivering a nuclear warhead, according to a team of sanctions monitors. Reuters news agency cites the confidential report, which has concluded that the October test was a violation of a UN Security Council resolution.
Based on their conclusion, the council’s panel of experts on Iran will likely call for expanding sanctions against Tehran in Washington and some other Western capitals. The White House said on December 15 that it would not rule out additional steps against Tehran over the missile test.
“On the basis of its analysis and findings the Panel concludes that Emad launch is a violation by Iran of paragraph 9 of Security Council resolution 1929,” the panel said in its report.
The launch took place on Oct. 10, according to the report. Iranian rocket launches from 2012 and 2013 also violated the UN ban on ballistic missile tests, the panel observed.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- What they Say2021.07.29Negotiation the only path to achieve peace in Afghanistan: Blinken
- Diplomacy2021.07.28US pledges $25 million for vaccines in India, will end pandemic
- Diplomacy2021.07.28Jaishankar, Blinken discuss Afghanistan, Quad
- The Power of India2021.07.26On Kargil Vijay Diwas we pay homage to all those who lost their lives in Kargil protecting our nation : Modi