In another chilling reminder that terrorism knows no boundaries, terror attacks at two mosques in New Zealand city of Christchurch have killed forty-nine people and wounded at least 20 others. This is the worst terror attack in the Pacific country’s history, which is known better for its stunning glacier-carved mountains, lakes, beaches and thermal springs.
Describing the mosque shootings as a well-planned “terrorist attack,” New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said: “This is, and will be, one of New Zealand’s darkest days.”
The New Zealand police authorities have launched an investigation into the horrific terror attack. Condemning the attack, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said one of the suspects was an Australian national, and described him an “extremist, right-wing, violent terrorist”. Mr Morrison added that Australian security authorities were investigating any links between the country and the attack. “It is such a sad and devastating reminder of the evil that can be ever present about us,” he said.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. Centre for Global India Insights is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs.
- India and the WorldSeptember 26, 2023Rise of India bodes well for Global South & Africa: Mehdi Jomaa
- CultureSeptember 26, 2023G20 Presidency Showcases India’s Rich Cultural Heritage and Soft Power: Abhay K
- DiplomacySeptember 20, 2023Inclusive Development & G20: Progress & Prospects
- India and the WorldSeptember 16, 2023G20 has a critical role in protecting rules-based global order: Experts