US President Donald Trump has an itch to mediate, and this time it’s not Kashmir that has attracted his attention, but the “raging border dispute” between India and China.
In a carefully choreographed tweet, Mr Trump signalled his support for India although he couched it in an offer of mediation to both countries whose troops are engaged in tense stand-off at various points in Ladakh.
“We have informed both India and China that the United States is ready, willing and able to mediate or arbitrate their now raging border dispute. Thank you!” tweeted President Trump.
Trump’s remarks, although phrased differently, echoed that of the US administration’s outgoing pointperson for South Asia, Alice Wells, who strongly backed the Indian position in the border incident and underlined that such disputes are a “reminder of the threat posed by China”.
“The flare-ups on the border, I think, are a reminder that Chinese aggression is not always just rhetorical. And so whether it’s in the South China Sea or whether it’s along the border with India, we continue to see provocations and disturbing behaviour by China that raises questions about how China seeks to use its growing power,” Ms Well had said.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- China Connect2020.11.28A New Start, A New Journey
- Diplomacy2020.11.26India-Italy Connect: The Road Ahead (WEBINAR VIDEO)
- India and the World2020.11.25Italian envoy calls for rebalancing Europe-China ties, pitches for enhanced defence ties with India
- Diplomacy2020.11.24India eyes closer ties with Bahrain, UAE, and Seychelles