The Islamic State (IS) is planning to launch terror attacks in India with the help of local militant groups based in Bangladesh and Pakistan. Shaykh Abu Ibrahim al-Hanif, the ‘amir’ of IS fighters in Bangladesh, said that with the help of of Wilayat Khurasan (branch of the militant Islamist group active in Afghanistan and Pakistan), and ‘Bengal’, IS could easily carry out strike across India with the help of local mujahideens. Mr Hanif revealed this in an interview to the group’s online magazine Dabiq. According to Mr Hanif, Bangladesh, which is referred to as ‘Bengal’ by the IS, is considered to be strategically important for the dreaded terror group. The US has also expressed concern over the presence of the IS terror group in Bangladesh after the militant group claimed responsibility for various terror attacks in the country. India’s intelligence agencies have also warned that the real threat to India from the IS comes from Bangladesh.
Explaining their plans for India, Mr Hanif said that they are training fighters both in Bangladesh as well as Pakistan to launch a fidayeen or suicide attack on Indian soil. He also said that they would be taking the help of the local mujahideen or fighters in India. “Bengal is located on the eastern side of India, whereas Wilayat Khurasan is located on its western side. Thus, having a strong jihad base in Bengal will facilitate performing guerrilla attacks inside India simultaneously from both sides and facilitate creating a condition of tawahhush (fear and chaos) in India along with the help of the existing local mujahidin there,” Mr Hanif said.
“Thus, we believe Shariah in Bengal won’t be achieved until the local Hindus are targeted in mass numbers and until a state of polarisation is created in the region, dividing between the believers and the disbelievers,” he added.
As a matter fact, the ISIS is trying desperately to engage Indian Muslims into their fold. This is for the very first time that ISIS has made a strong call and gives specifics about its plans. According to officials, such things cannot be taken lightly as the ISIS is desperate to make its mark in this part of the world. Intelligence agencies are expecting more such efforts largely aimed at increasing their numbers in India and Bangladesh. The IS had announced its expansion into Khurasan, the historic name for the area encompassing Afghanistan, Pakistan and parts of India, in January last year.
US President Barack Obama had recently said that destroying the IS group remains his top priority at a time when the jihadist group continues to lose ground in Iraq and Syria.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Power of India2020.08.07National Education Policy aims to keep the current and future generations – Future Ready : Modi
- India and the World2020.07.31Indian Ocean connect: Modi brands India’s development partnership
- India and the World2020.07.31China’s envoy rejects threat narrative, focuses on win-win with India
- Diplomacy2020.07.29ISIS threat in Kerala and Karnataka