In a phone chat, Singapore Premier Lee Hsien Loong has assured Prime Minister Narendra Modi to provide care and safety to all migrant Indian workers in the island-nation during the pandemic.The two leaders exchanged views on the health and economic challenges posed by COVID-19 and updated each other on the measures being adopted in their respective countries to tackle the pandemic, the External Affairs Ministry said n a statement.
PM Modi promised to provide essential supplies, including medical products, to Singapore, and also expressed his appreciation for the support being extended to the Indian citizens in Singapore.Both leaders stressed the importance of the India-Singapore Strategic Partnership in the fight against COVID-19 and agreed to work together to address the present and future challenges posed by the virus.
The Indian leader conveyed his best wishes for the health and well being of the people of Singapore during the present crisis.In a Facebook post, Mr Lee also outlined his phone call with Mr Modi. “I assured him that we will care for Indian migrant workers here, just as we care for Singaporeans. The migrant workers made personal sacrifices to come to work here,” said Mr Lee.
“They have made many contributions to Singapore, so we have a responsibility for them.” He added: “Appreciate PM Modi’s affirmation of our efforts in looking after the migrant workers, and his assurance that they will not forget this.”He also thanked Mr Modi for India’s help in bringing back some Singaporeans from India recently. “We agreed to work together on the challenges posed by the pandemic, keep supply chains intact, and keep essential supplies flowing,” Mr Lee said. Singapore has seen over 11,000 COVID-19 cases as of April 23.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2021.09.30Quad set to grow stronger, more focus on economic than China
- Diplomacy2021.09.27Webinar: Eminent diplomats, experts to map post-summit future of Quad
- Diplomacy2021.09.25Quad summit bats for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific
- What they Say2021.09.24Kamala Harris inspiration for the world: Modi