Giving impetus to India’s West Asia Policy, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar will visit the United Arab Emirates (UAE) from May 18 to 20.
The visit will focus on bolstering cooperation on defence and security issues with the UAE military and exploring the opportunities of Indian defence manufacturers selling military equipment to the UAE.
Mr Parrikar’s visit will be the first ever formal bilateral visit by a defence minister to the UAE. This follows a visit by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the country last year.
India has sought to build stronger operational rapport with the UAE’s security and defence structure, which is needed for Humanitarian and Disaster Relief Operations (HADR). In the backdrop of Operation Rahat where Indians stranded in Yemen were evacuated last year, the Indian armed forces had to operate with other militaries in the region. In anticipation of a similar situation arising in the future, India wants its armed forces to be able to operate comfortably with other militaries.
The export of defence equipment has been a major focus for India, and will be a significant component of Mr Parrikar’s visit. During his visits to major industrial and military installations in the UAE, he will also work on strengthening the hydrographic as well as defence industrial cooperation between the two countries.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Africa Insights2020.07.11Webinar Video: Mapping Next Steps in India-Africa Partnership
- China Connect2020.07.10It’s time to put India-China relations back on track, think ahead: Chinese envoy
- Business with India2020.07.09India is playing a leading role in the global revival: Modi
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace