In the biggest ever investigation into offshore financial dealings of the rich and famous, an international coalition of more than 100 media outlets published documents that exposed the involvement of some of the most famous world leaders, businessmen, criminals, celebrities and sports stars. A cache of 11.5 million records have detailed the offshore holdings of the rich and famous. The data concerned internal documents from a Panama based law firm, Mossack Fonseca.
Some of the most prominent people named in the list include Russia’s President Vladimir Putin, Argentine football star Lionel Messi, Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan, owner of DLF group K.P. Singh to name a few. The investigation into the documents by more than 100 media groups is said to be the largest such probe in history. It revealed the hidden offshore dealings in the assets of around 140 political figures, including 12 current or former heads of states.
Panama’s President Juan Carlos Varela issued a statement saying that his government would cooperate “vigorously” with any judicial investigation arising from the leak of the law firm’s documents. Emphasising on the revelations, Mr Varela said that it shouldn’t detract from his government’s “zero tolerance” for any illicit activities in Panama’s finance industry.
From India, ‘The Indian Express’ was part of the global investigation and it said that many Indian industrialists and celebrities were named in the documents. The International Consortium of International Journalism (ICIJ) said that the documents included emails, financial spreadsheets, passports and corporate records. The ICIJ emphasised the documents showed how powerful people used banks, law firms and offshore shell companies to hide their assets.
“It allows a never-before-seen view inside the offshore world providing a day-to-day, decade-by-decade look at how dark money flows through the global financial system, breeding crime and stripping national treasuries of tax revenues,” the ICIJ said.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Africa Insights2020.09.23Defence and security cooperation was a key 21st century pillar for India and Africa : Jaishankar
- The Power of India2020.09.22We live in an international community linked together at multiple levels by multiple arrangements : Shringla
- India and the World2020.09.22The UN faces a crisis of confidence and today’s challenges cannot be fought with outdated structures : Modi
- The Power of India2020.09.21Our agriculture sector is in desperate need of latest technology that assists the industrious farmers :Modi