The famed Central Park in New York resonated with rock stars and Sanskrit when India’s Prime Minister greeted a gathering of over 60,000 people with ‘Namaste’ and praised the prime city in the US for assimilating the world.
He expressed these views while speaking at the Global Citizen Festival on September 28.
Although his speech was in English, Modi concluded it with a Sanskrit verse that calls for universal peace and prosperity. He ended by saying: “I salute you… may the Force be with you.”
Modi said he felt happy to be among the crowd in the open rather than in a conference hall. Further he added to say that the youth played an important role in improving the present and the future status of the entire word.
“Because you are the future; what you do today, will decide our tomorrow. I feel a current of hope in this Park among you, I feel confident about the future. You are touching, the lives of those, who are not as fortunate, as you are. What an admirable act, this is. What a sacred mission,” said Modi in his roaring voice.
Besides Modi, United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and World Bank President Jim Yong Kim also attended the Festival. The festival also saw a galaxy of popular musicians including popular rapper Jay-Z, Sting and the American hip-hop band The Roots.
The Global Citizen Festival is an annual event that takes place during September coinciding with the United Nations General Assembly. This Global Citizen movement aims to end poverty and provide education and basic sanitation to people across the two hemispheres.
“Some believe that the world changes with the wisdom of the old. I think that the idealism, innovation, energy and ‘can do’ attitude of the youth is even more powerful,” said Modi while addressing the cheering crowd.
“That is my hope for India too. 800 million youth joining hands to transform our nation to put the light of hope in every eye and, the joy of belief in every heart; lift people, out of poverty, put clean water, and sanitation within the reach of all. Make healthcare, available to all, a roof over every head,” stressed the India’s Prime Minister.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- THE QUOTE HANGER2021.01.23“Life loses half its interest if there is no struggle- if there are no risks taken.”-Subhas Chandra Bose
- Diplomacy2021.01.22‘Vasudhaiv Kutumbakam’ guides vaccine supply to neighbouring countries: Rajnath Singh
- India and the World2021.01.21President Biden vows to unite America, sings democracy anthem
- India and the World2021.01.19Modi set to visit UK for G7, Johnson likely to visit India