Rail travel between Dhaka and Kolkata is set to be more comfortable from April 14 with Bangladesh and India set to make the Maitree Express train between the two cities fully air-conditioned.
The Maitree Express, which has become very popular since its introduction nine years ago, will also have improved coaches comprising four first-class AC coaches and as many AC chair cars, Indian Railway Ministry officials said.
The train is a fine example of enhanced people-to-people contact between the two countries, especially for divided families and relatives on both sides of the border since the vivisection of India in 1947 and then after the creation of an independent Bangladesh in 1971, as the travel provides a very cost-effective mode of transport.
The improved service will start from the occasion of “Poila Baisakh” on April 14 — the first day of the Bangla New Year.
The announcement of the new facilities is expected to be contained in the joint statement of Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her Indian counterpart Narendra Modi after their talks on April 8, the Railway Ministry officials said.
The frequency of Maitree Express had also been increased from three to four times a week from November 11 last year.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.06.10India-Germany @70: Greater cooperation in shaping Indo-Pacific & rules-based order
- India & EU2021.06.10India, Germany celebrate 70th anniversary of ties with special stamp
- India and the World2021.06.08Free vaccines to states, India will prevail over Corona: Modi
- India and the World2021.06.07With SAARC declining, Modi calls for bolstering BIMSTEC