Ending weeks of speculation, the ruling Conservative Party announced Liz Truss as the UK’s next prime minister.
The 47-year-old Truss beat her rival, former finance minister Rishi Sunak, an Indian-origin MP, by 81,326 votes to 60,399, after a bitterly divisive party leadership contest sparked by Boris Johnson’s resignation in July.
With her victory, Truss has become the Conservatives’ fourth prime minister since a 2015 election and the third female prime minister of Britain.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2023.02.06Russian envoy, top diplomats to focus on next steps in India-Russia relations
- Culture2023.02.03Shakti: Promoting women-led Development in G20
- In Conversation2023.01.30ABC of Organising G20 Meetings, the India Way: Muktesh Pardeshi
- India and the World2023.01.28Pakistan PM, FM’s visit to India for SCO summit fuels hopes about better ties