Ending weeks of speculation, the ruling Conservative Party announced Liz Truss as the UK’s next prime minister.
The 47-year-old Truss beat her rival, former finance minister Rishi Sunak, an Indian-origin MP, by 81,326 votes to 60,399, after a bitterly divisive party leadership contest sparked by Boris Johnson’s resignation in July.
With her victory, Truss has become the Conservatives’ fourth prime minister since a 2015 election and the third female prime minister of Britain.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2022.09.27India protests US’s F-16 funds for Pakistan: You are not fooling anybody
- Diplomacy2022.09.25Taliban demands apology from Pakistan for calling Afghanistan a hub of terrorism
- India and the World2022.09.23India calls for ending Ukraine conflict, targets China on terror
- India and the World2022.09.16SCO in Samarkand: Modi pitches for enhancing connectivity