The foreign ministers of India and Russia held talks in New Delhi to enhance bilateral cooperation in stabilizing Afghanistan and to set the agenda for the annual summit between the leaders of the two countries.
India’s External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar held wide-ranging talks with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov in New Delhi on April 6
According to the Russian embassy in India, the two sides are developing an active political dialogue, trade and economic, as well as military and technical ties, scientific, cultural, and humanitarian contacts. “A special and privileged strategic partnership with India is one of Russia`s foreign policy priorities,” the statement read.
The Russian minister’s visit would enable New Delhi to clear roadblocks on several important deals including the AK-203 rifle’s production and the S-400 Triumf air defense systems. The acquisition and indigenous production of about 200 Kamov Ka-226T utility helicopters and the long-pending P-75i submarine project figured in discussion, according to reliable sources.
Russia has been a time-tested partner for India and a key pillar of New Delhi’s foreign policy. Both the countries have a mechanism to review ties annually under the India-Russia summit format.
This year will also see the visit of Indian Army and Navy chiefs to Moscow.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.04.22PM Modi invites world to partner with India for green development
- India and the World2021.04.22What Biden-Suga summit means for Indo-Pacific
- India and the World2021.04.09After Modi visit, India, Bangladesh focus on forging “youth maitri bridge”
- India and the World2021.04.08Post-Modi visit, webinar to focus on next steps in India-Bangladesh partnership