In a strong reaction to the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation’s (OIC) reference of Jammu and Kashmir in its communique, India termed it as “factually incorrect and misleading”. The references were made by OIC during its 13th summit in Turkey. India asked OIC to refrain from making such statements.
India also questioned the locus standi of the OIC. The OIC in its communique affirmed “its support to the widespread indigenous movement of the people of the Indian Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IOK) for their right to self-determination”. India objected to the OIC making such references and asked it to refrain from making references on internal matters related to India.
External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Vikas Swarup said: “We note with utmost regret that the final communique adopted at the conclusion of the 13th Islamic Summit of the Heads of State/Government of the OIC Member States held at Istanbul, Turkey on 14-15 April includes factually incorrect and misleading references pertaining to the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir, which is an integral part of India.”
“We completely reject all such references regarding matters internal to India, on which the OIC has no locus standi. We further advise the OIC to refrain from making such references in future,” Mr Swarup added.
The OIC members had reaffirmed their support for the people of Jammu and Kashmir for the realisation of their legitimate right to self-determination. The communique had stated that this was in in accordance with relevant UN resolutions and aspirations of the people of Jammu and Kashmir and said that freedom struggle must not be equated with terrorism.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2021.03.05Connectivity with Bangladesh is of prime importance, says Jaishankar in Dhaka
- India and the World2021.03.01Environment in the Media webinar: It’s time for world to unite against global warming
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region