India has rallied behind Bangladesh in its fight against terrorism as well as on the issue of the war crimes trial, days after Jamat-e-Islami leader Motiur Rehman Nizami was executed in Dhaka.
India’s Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar, who visited Dhaka on May 12, met Bangladesh’s Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and held talks with the country’s top officials, including his counterpart Shahidul Haque. “I told the (Bangladesh) foreign secretary that I am here also to convey the Indian government’s strong support for the government of Bangladesh in the matter of terrorism and extremism”, Mr Jaishankar said.
In recent months, Bangladesh has witnessed a series of attacks targeting minorities, secular bloggers and foreigners. During his meeting with Mr Haque, Mr Jaishankar appreciated Bangladesh’s response to the recent attacks against vulnerable sections of the society. Emphasising that terrorism and militancy are issues that directly concern both neighbours, Mr Jaishankar said that the two countries would work “closely and bilaterally” in combating the menace.
Responding to questions on the Jamaat leader’s execution, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup said, “The issue of ‘war crimes trial’ is internal to Bangladesh. India has also been supportive of a judicial process to address pending issues of retributive justice for war crimes”.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- China Connect2020.11.28A New Start, A New Journey
- Diplomacy2020.11.26India-Italy Connect: The Road Ahead (WEBINAR VIDEO)
- India and the World2020.11.25Italian envoy calls for rebalancing Europe-China ties, pitches for enhanced defence ties with India
- Diplomacy2020.11.24India eyes closer ties with Bahrain, UAE, and Seychelles