Mourning, horror and shock have enveloped Kabul in the aftermath of the worst terror attack in months. It’s a despair-laden Sunday for Afghans as the capital Kabul tried to come to grips with the scale of the carnage inflicted by militants who drove an ambulance packed with explosives near the old interior ministry building in Kabul, killing 95 and wounding over 150 people.
The January 27 attack took place just a week after the Intercontinental Hotel terror attack claimed 22 lives.
The Kabul attack has triggered outrage across the world, with India, a key partner in Afghanistan’s reconstruction, condemning the attack as “barbaric and dastardly.” India, which has already around $3 billion for the reconstruction of the violence-torn country, has assured “all possible assistance, including for treatment of those injured”.
The attack took place when an explosive-laden ambulance managed to drive through a security checkpoint in an area where a number of foreign embassies and government buildings are located.
The responsibility of the attack was claimed by a Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid. The recent spate of attacks has been directed towards the international community even as efforts to bring normalcy and peace in Afghanistan continue. The area where the attack occurred is not far from the offices of the European Union and the High Peace Council, including the police headquarters.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Africa Insights2020.07.11Webinar Video: Mapping Next Steps in India-Africa Partnership
- China Connect2020.07.10It’s time to put India-China relations back on track, think ahead: Chinese envoy
- Business with India2020.07.09India is playing a leading role in the global revival: Modi
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace