Amid the growing importance of cyber security in India’s strategic calculus, Gulshan Rai, the Director General of Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-in), has been appointed as India’s first Cyber Security Chief from April 1, 2015.
Mr Rai also heads the Security and eSecurity and Cyber Law division in the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, and he has involved with the country’s cyber security operations for over two decades.
“Rai will take over as Cyber Security chief under the Prime Minister’s Office as Special Secretary from April 1,” a government official said.
More than 700 government websites hosted under ‘gov.in’ and ‘nic.in’ domains have been hacked by cyber criminals in the last four years. As per the data released by CERT-in, 371, 189, 155 government websites were hacked during the year 2012, 2013 and 2014. In January 2015 alone, a total of 13 government websites were hacked.
Last month, India’s Home Minister Rajnath Singh had said that an expert committee was set up to suggest ways and means to strengthen cyber security, and the reports would be submitted in the next three months.
The appointment of the cyber chief comes in at a crucial time as India looks to shaping international policy and discourse on interlinked issues of cyber security, cyber terrorism, global internet governance, information security and cyber economy. The Modi government in India has launched Digital India campaign, which involves more proactive e-governance and bridging the digital divide among the 1.2 billion people of the country.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Buzz2021.08.05Historic! A day that will be etched in the memory of every Indian : Modi
- India and the World2021.08.02India in UNSC: A unique opportunity to showcase India’s Security Council ambition
- What they Say2021.07.29Negotiation the only path to achieve peace in Afghanistan: Blinken
- Diplomacy2021.07.28US pledges $25 million for vaccines in India, will end pandemic