Mediators are hopeful that this breakthrough will be converted into a longer-term ceasefire.
Israel has announced that its core target of destroying cross-border tunnels and neutralising Hamas’ rockets aimed at Israel has been achieved.
Israel launched Operation Protective Edge on July 8 to end rocket attacks into Israel and destroy tunnels used by Palestinian militants.
Earlier, Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had vowed to target the growing force of Hamas in the region until “quiet is restored”. He warned, “We do not know when this operation will end.”
According to a statement released just prior to the withdrawal, the Israel Defence Forces said that since July 8 it had taken out 32 tunnels designed to allow militants to carry out raids into Israel, destroyed 3,000 missiles and killed about 900 “terrorists”.
Officials in Gaza estimate that 1,834 Palestinians have died since the conflict began, most of them civilians. While Israel says it has lost 64 soldiers and three civilians during the conflict. According to the United Nations, about 260,000 of Gaza’s 1.8 million people have been displaced.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2022.06.27In Alpine resort, Modi calls for creating pro-planet people
- India and the World2022.05.21Quad summit in Tokyo to focus on rules-based Indo-Pacific
- China Connect2022.05.19Implement Global Security Initiative, Maintain Peace and Stability in Asia
- India and the World2022.05.17India-Nepal ties strong & stables as Himalayas: Modi