Unveiling a “roadmap” to end border controls reintroduced by member states because of the migrant crisis, the European Union has decided to restore the Schengen passport-free travel area by the end of 2016. Brussels called for the creation of an EU coastguard force by the summer, help for Greece to strengthen its external border, and to ensure the cooperation of Turkey in stemming the flow of migrants.
The plan was announced as figures showed that a record 1.25 million asylum seekers arrived in the EU in 2015, more than double the figure from the previous year.
“Let me be crystal clear on the ultimate objective of today’s roadmap,” EU Migration Commissioner Dimitris Avramopoulos said at a news conference. “It is to move from unilateral decisions on reintroduction of border controls towards a coordinated approach, and to lift all internal border controls by the end of this year,” he added.
Passport-free travel from Iceland to Greece, is under threat as Eight countries in the 26-nation passport-free Schengen area have reintroduced border controls.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.10.20India, EU review 2025 roadmap, agree to advance FTA talks
- India and the World2021.09.30Quad set to grow stronger, more focus on economic than China
- Diplomacy2021.09.27Webinar: Eminent diplomats, experts to map post-summit future of Quad
- Diplomacy2021.09.25Quad summit bats for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific