Nearly a month after German Chancellor Angela Merkel began her fourth term in office, the talks to form a three-way coalition government broke down with the pro-business Free Democrats (FDP) withdrawing from negotiations with the Christian Democrats and the Greens.“Today there was no progress but rather there were setbacks because specific compromises were questioned,” the FDP’s Christian Lindner said. “It is better not to rule than to rule the wrong way. Goodbye!”
With such a political crisis, Europe’s largest economy now faces a tough choice between the formation of a minority government or the call for a new election by the president. While Ms Merkel declared that she would continue as the acting chancellor and engage in consultation with President Frank-Walter Steinmeier on the future course of action, it is unlikely that she will settle for a minority government. With the Social Democrats, the second biggest party in the September elections, ruling out any possibility of returning to the grand coalition, fresh elections remain the only option. However, the fears of a new election are that the pro-Nazi right-wing AfD (Alternative for Germany) would get more than 13 per cent of votes placing itself securely as the third biggest party in the Parliament.
“It is a day of deep reflection on how to go forward in Germany,” Ms Merkel told reporters. “As chancellor, I will do everything to ensure that this country is well managed in the difficult weeks to come.”
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- China Connect2022.05.19Implement Global Security Initiative, Maintain Peace and Stability in Asia
- India and the World2022.05.17India-Nepal ties strong & stables as Himalayas: Modi
- Quote-Unquote2022.05.04India believes there will be no winner in Russia-Ukraine conflict : Modi
- India and the World2022.05.02Modi, German Chancellor discuss Ukraine, Indo-Pacific